1.3 million Oklahomans cast ballots in election
The Oklahoma Election Board reports that 1.15 million of Oklahoma's 2.1 million registered voters cast ballots on Election Day.
Including absentee voting by mail and early voting there were a total of 1.3 million votes cast for a turnout of about 62 percent.
Election Board Secretary Paul Ziriax says the most votes were cast Tuesday in the presidential race. Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney carried Oklahoma with 66.8 percent of the vote — although President Barack Obama was re-elected to a second term.
Ziriax says there were a few instances of election boards recounting their votes that delayed the count but nothing that affected the final totals.
County election boards will certify their results Friday and the state Election Board meets next Tuesday for final certification..
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 81417Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31213Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 29647Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24478Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8211Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7508Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7403Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday