10 myths about school shooters
10 myths about school shooters listed.
10 MYTHS ABOUT
Kim Carter, director of the Oklahoma Office of Homeland Security, said common myths crop up after school shootings. Carter reported the myths Tuesday to the Oklahoma Commission on School Security.
Videoview all videos
Jan 22The Oklahoma Commission on School Security met for the...
Photoview all 11 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
1. The shooter just didn't fit the profile. “There really is no profile,” Carter said. “That's what you have to understand. It could be the most clean-cut kid in your school.”
2. He just snapped. “They never ‘just snap,'” Carter said. “Never.”
3. No one knew.
4. He hadn't threatened anyone.
5. He was a loner
6. He was mentally ill.
7. If only we'd had a SWAT team. “Most of these events are done in 12 minutes or less,” Carter said. “It's going to be on the school resource officer. It's going to be on the policeman on the beat to show up.”
8. He had never touched a gun.
9. We did everything we could to help him.
10. School violence is rampant. “School violence is not rampant,” Carter said. “School violence is very well-publicized.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14862OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11951Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8347Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6661Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6166Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5685Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4422Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?