10 myths about school shooters
10 myths about school shooters listed.
10 MYTHS ABOUT
Kim Carter, director of the Oklahoma Office of Homeland Security, said common myths crop up after school shootings. Carter reported the myths Tuesday to the Oklahoma Commission on School Security.
Videoview all videos
Jan 22The Oklahoma Commission on School Security met for the...
Photoview all 11 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
1. The shooter just didn't fit the profile. “There really is no profile,” Carter said. “That's what you have to understand. It could be the most clean-cut kid in your school.”
2. He just snapped. “They never ‘just snap,'” Carter said. “Never.”
3. No one knew.
4. He hadn't threatened anyone.
5. He was a loner
6. He was mentally ill.
7. If only we'd had a SWAT team. “Most of these events are done in 12 minutes or less,” Carter said. “It's going to be on the school resource officer. It's going to be on the policeman on the beat to show up.”
8. He had never touched a gun.
9. We did everything we could to help him.
10. School violence is rampant. “School violence is not rampant,” Carter said. “School violence is very well-publicized.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 80469Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30097Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29530Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 25550Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7945Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7267Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7260Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday