CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — A 12-year-old Cherryville boy who was hospitalized for more than a month because of an E. coli outbreak at the Cleveland County Fair is home.
Jordan McNair walked out of Levine Children's Hospital in Charlotte on Thursday after spending 35 days in the hospital, part of it on a ventilator and dialysis.
There were 106 E. coli cases tied to the fair in Shelby.
Gage Lefevers, 2, of Gastonia died from complications of the illness.
The illness typically is spread from animals and animal waste to humans.
State health officials planned to present the results of their investigation Friday afternoon in Shelby. The outbreak is the largest ever in North Carolina.
Jordan was looking forward to riding his bike, shooting his BB gun and perhaps going to a Japanese steak house in Gastonia.
"I'm very excited and so thrilled," Beth McNair said of her son's release. "And so thankful."
The family went to the fair Sept. 30. Jordon ate corn dogs and funnel cake, rode the Ferris wheel, and attended a Christian music program.
"Then he milked a cow," McNair said. "And he went to the petting zoo."
The hand washing station had only a bit of soap when Jordan tried to wash his hands, she said.
Jordan got sick Oct. 3 and two days later was in the Charlotte hospital.
"The low point was the ventilator," McNair said. "That was a bad day. I was petrified."
He still takes three medicines must have weekly lab tests, but Jordan plans to return to John Chavis Middle School in Cherryville next week.
A 5-year-old girl who had been released from the hospital earlier was back in the hospital because she was having stomach problems likely connected to the E. coli.
Doctors told her parents they do not think latest illness is serious.