Ex-husband of gymnast vanishes in Washington
RENTON, Wash. — The owner of a laser eye surgery center and former husband of Olympic gymnast and Oklahoma native Shannon Miller is under investigation after abruptly closing his suburban business and leaving for parts unknown, regulators say.
NewsOK Related Articles
Dr. Christopher B. Phillips, 35, owner of Lomas Eye Care Center in Renton, canceled appointments without notifying patients, did not forward medical information to other providers, told staffers they were no longer needed and closed the clinic Feb. 29, state health officials and ex-employees say.
Founded by Dr. Richard W. Lomas, the center was one of the few in the metropolitan area that offered laser eye surgery in addition to conventional care ranging from basic eye examinations to treatment for cataracts. Lomas sold the business to Phillips some years ago.
Alexandra Gelt and Bryan Heitmeyer, optometrists who worked for Phillips and started Clearvue Vision Center on March 19, said they had no idea where he went.
"We'd developed very close ties with the patients we'd been serving for all those years," said Gelt, a 10-year veteran of the Lomas clinic. "The main goal right now is continuing to care for them."
Phillips was facing misdemeanor charges unrelated to the clinic, but his practice was not under investigation before he disappeared, Health Department spokesman Donn Moyer told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
"As a result of the current situation, we have gotten some complaints" that resulted in the state probe, Moyer said without elaborating.
In a case stemming from a party at his $800,000 home, Phillips is scheduled to appear in Municipal Court later this month on charges of making false statements to law enforcement officers and disturbing the peace.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 71664Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31265Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29267Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 20588Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6679Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6629Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond