2 Kansas officers fatally shot outside market
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Authorities say a man suspected in the fatal shooting of two Topeka police officers has died after an armed standoff with law enforcement at a house in the city.
The man is suspected of killing 50-year-old Cpl. David Gogian and 29-year-old Jeff Atherly as they responded to a report of a suspicious vehicle Sunday night.
Shawnee County officials say in a statement that Kansas Bureau of Investigation officers tried to negotiate with the suspect before firing tear gas into the home.
The statement says he emerged from the home carrying a gun and officers shot him. He was taken to a hospital where he died of his injuries early Monday.
It wasn't clear if the suspect fired his gun.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 88863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16945OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12611Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12094Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9737Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9076Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8890Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation