Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
20-40-60 Etiquette: Should I dress up when it's family only?
What a blessing it was to be together.
All of my grown children see to it that my precious grandchildren look their best when they are around the relatives for the holidays. Most generally, everyone wears festive holiday clothes, even if it is just for dinner. I am always so proud of all of them.
GUEST'S ANSWER: Linda Miller, author of Fashion Matters Blog: If this is an annual occurrence, how do other family members dress for the multiple events?
If your family is like most, there are probably some who want to look festive, even if it's as simple as sparkly earrings or a red satin blouse, and others who prefer jeans and a sweatshirt.
Try following the lead of most of the other relatives.
Something as simple as a velvet jacket can dress up a pair of dark jeans.
Aim for pulled-together rather than sloppy.
Usually the focus of these get-togethers is on family and celebrating rather than attire.
Callie Gordon is twenty-something, Lillie-Beth Brinkman is in her 40s, and social columnist Helen Ford Wallace is 60-plus. You'll also find a guest answer. To ask an etiquette question, email email@example.com. For more 20-40-60 etiquette, go to blog.newsok.com/partiesextra.