Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6223Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5055Oklahoma City psychiatrist fined $25K for letting students write prescriptions
- 4821Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
20-40-60 Etiquette: Should I dress up when it's family only?
QUESTION: It is time for the holiday gatherings. My large family has several events during the season where we all get together for dinner or for celebrating. Am I supposed to dress up for all of the parties that my relatives attend? It's just us!
CALLIE'S ANSWER: I love to dress up for the holidays. You look better and feel good about yourself. My vote is YES!
LILLIE-BETH'S ANSWER: If you're asking whether it's OK to roll out of bed and come to family gatherings in your pajamas, then the answer is “no.” If you're asking whether you should wear formal attire like a cocktail dress for each family event, then I think the answer to that question is “no” as well, or at least “not necessarily.”
Entertaining guests, even if they are “only” family members, takes some effort, and it's nice when your attire acknowledges that, depending on the occasion. If it's a potluck dinner or pizza, then a casual outfit is fine — even jeans. Take each occasion on a case-by-case basis, and enjoy wearing something festive, whether dressy or casual. But more importantly, try to enjoy the people with whom you're celebrating.
HELEN'S ANSWER: Relatives are so important. You are lucky to have a large family. Hopefully you will enjoy dressing up for all the events. My favorite memories are of Thanksgiving Day and two of our relatives — they were sisters — came to my house totally dressed up and wearing high heels. I appreciated the effort, and both of them looked darling.
My other memories are of my own daughters wearing matching holiday dresses when they were very young during the Christmas season and my young son wearing a coat and tie. They always looked precious and their seasonal attire made the holiday season so much fun!