2013 Mercedes-Benz SLK Class
Of all the pricey German roadsters, the 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLK is probably the least polarizing. That's not to say that this isn't one of the most exciting yet elegant drop-top two-doors you can get, and one that you can drive every day.
The SLK has evolved nicely over the years, with more focus and grace, and just the right amount of intoxicating sports-car urgency combined with true mini-SL gravitas it never possessed in its earlier lives.
We won't mask our love for the new Porsche Boxster, or neglect to note that the current BMW Z4 is now the better touring car for the closet speed freak. But the Mercedes SLK has its own visceral pace and pulse; it holds its own in the corners, and proves that it's still a three-way arms race.
The 2013 SLK Class is offered in three quite dramatically different personalities. At the base end there's the SLK 250 and its 201-horsepower, 1.8-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine; we still haven't driven variants with this engine, but we've found it plenty perky in the C Class--and it's the only way you can get an SLK with a (six-speed) manual gearbox. What most are probably going to find the best compromise between price and performance in the lineup is the SLK 350 and its 302-hp, 3.5-liter V-6. But those who always need to have the best and fastest will head straight to the sizzling V-8-powered SLK 55 AMG.
Over extensive drive time in the SLK 350, we've found it easy to get used to this model's rhythm and drivability. With any of these automatic models, there's a paddle-shifted seven-speed automatic pushing force to the rear wheels in a mostly smooth way. Massive, biting brakes are in store, either way, and new torque-vectoring control works with the SLK's stability control to tighten cornering, giving this latest edition a lot of tech weaponry to tackle corners.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 97533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13957Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9425Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8660Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8311OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7700How to help tornado victims
- 7421Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges