2013 Porsche Cayenne
Though it's been in Porsche's range for nearly a decade, the Cayenne remains a controversial subject for brand loyalists who see the sports car as the true heart of the marque. Nevertheless, the Cayenne's success for Porsche can't be denied, and with the addition of a new diesel model for the 2013 model year, it looks as though its position will be further solidified.
That's a very good thing for SUV lovers, however, as the Cayenne is one of the best in the business. It has a unique look--one that not everyone will love. Wrapping a rough approximation of the 911's curves around the large SUV results in a smooth, curvaceous, swooping form that sits at odds with most of the rest of the large SUV segment, which is largely composed of squared edges and bluff faces. Inside, the Cayenne is even less typical, with a coupe-like cockpit up front, with curved surfaces and upscale materials. All models now come with an analog clock for 2013.
The five different variants in the Cayenne range include the base model, powered by a 300-horsepower 3.6-liter V-6 engine; the Cayenne Diesel, all-new for 2013, with a 240-horsepower 3.0-liter V-6 turbodiesel engine; the Cayenne S, rated at 400 horsepower from a 4.8-liter V-8; the Cayenne S Hybrid, good for 380 horsepower from its combination of electric motor and a supercharged 3.0-liter V-6; and the Cayenne Turbo, the speed demon of the group, rated at 500 horsepower from its twin-turbocharged 4.8-liter V-8.
Even base Cayennes are relatively quick, getting to 60 mph in 7.4 seconds with the Tiptronic S automatic transmission, or 7.1 seconds with the six-speed manual. The more potent models are even quicker. The Tiptronic S eight-speed automatic is the only transmission offered on non-base model Cayennes.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit