High school football: Carl Albert's Caleb Holland draws attention after turning focus to football
SUPER 30 — Caleb Holland had been playing basketball, baseball and football before coach Gary Rose told him he thought he had a chance to play football in college.
During his sophomore season at Carl Albert, Caleb Holland walked into football coach Gary Rose's office.
The possibility of playing college football wasn't something that was anywhere near Holland's mind.
The Oklahoman's Super 30
The Oklahoman's Super 30 feature series on the state's top football recruits continues with No. 28, Carl Albert lineman Caleb Holland. Here are the players we've written about so far:
No. 30: Trevan Smith, Edmond Santa Fe
No. 29: Chris Hall, Tulsa Union
No. 28: Caleb Holland
School: Carl Albert
He was content to keep playing basketball and baseball and limit football to the times when those sports were out of season.
But a discussion with Rose changed that.
“I told him, ‘I think I want to play basketball,'” Holland said. “And he came back and told me that he thought if I put the work in and made it a priority, he thought I had a chance to play football in college somewhere.
“That's really when it kind of hit me that I needed to buckle down and start working hard on football and make it a priority.”
Holland never played basketball again. He played baseball that year before dropping that sport as well to concentrate on getting better at football.
Now, heading into his senior season with the Titans, Holland is No. 28 on The Oklahoman's Super 30 list.
While Holland, an offensive lineman who is likely to play center in college, started working toward the goal of playing college football nearly two years ago, he's still been surprised with the recent attention he's received.
He's attended a flurry of camps and junior days that has included the U.S. Army National Combine in San Antonio in January, Oklahoma State, Tulsa, TCU and Kansas State.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates