3-day Cox email outage leaves customers in Oklahoma and 13 other states frustrated
Cox spokeswoman says company is working to fix root problem of widespread residential email outage in Oklahoma and 13 other states.
Meanwhile, information technology, or IT, experts on Monday blogged about avoiding future problems and speculated on the cause of Cox's problems.
Virginia Paige, a tweeter on Twitter.com @VirginiaMinute, recommended users get a hosted email solution such as Gmail, which is independent of their Internet service providers, or ISP, so if they change their ISP, they don't have to change their email address.
“That's not to say that those services don't ever go down … but even if the Internet is out … I can still get to my email, and I can send emails from there using one of my many email addresses,” Paige blogged. “If Gmail goes down, I still have an old Yahoo address that I can use.”
Daniel Holm of InterWorks IT firm speculated Cox's problem involved an untested continuity plan. “Either their unit data was unreadable or they rebuilt their alternate hardware,” Holm said.
Brad Thomas, vice president of technology for Perimeter Technology Center, said Cox's issues could range from software problems on their platform to domain name system problems to infrastructure problems with service, storage or network devices.
Jay Wade, chief executive of Red Earth Systems, said it behooves Cox not to share too much information.
“It would be a security risk to show what went wrong in their design system, sort of like showing the secret sauce and how to break the system,” Wade said.
“It's hard to guarantee you'll be up 100 percent of the time,” Wade said. “We try to keep the computers running, and we're successful most of the time. But unfortunately, like Cox and everybody else in the game, it's not always easy.”
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims