3rd person dies after Guam crash-stabbing rampage
A third person has died after being hit by a car during a rampage in Guam's tourist district that left two others dead and 11 people injured, officials said Thursday.
Spokesman Tony Muna of the Guam Visitors Bureau said that a 51-year-old man taken to Guam Memorial Hospital in critical condition died Thursday morning, local time.
Authorities are not immediately releasing his name while a complaint filed against 21-year-old Chad Ryan De Soto is updated, Muna said.
A Japan Foreign Ministry official who requested anonymity identified the person killed as 51-year-old Hitoshi Yokota. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of department rules.
De Soto, of Tamuning, is accused of plowing into several people with his gray Toyota Yaris late Tuesday as he drove onto a sidewalk and into a convenience store at the Outrigger hotel in the Tumon district. Authorities say he then got out of his car and started stabbing people he came across.
Authorities said that De Soto hurt six people with his car and eight with his knife.
Muna said the 51-year-old victim was hit by De Soto's car.
Muna says four victims remain hospitalized in the U.S. territory: a 51-year-old woman listed in "guarded" condition, a 70-year-old woman in stable condition, and two girls in stable condition — a 3-month-old and an 8-month-old. A 22-year-old woman in stable condition was transferred to a hospital in Japan, while six patients were treated and released.
Hospital officials reached Thursday referred questions to Muna.
A Guam judge ordered De Soto held on $2 million bail. The prosecution requested the bail after saying the suspect committed "heinous, extreme" violence rarely seen in Guam, a tropical island about 1,500 miles south of Tokyo that is heavily dependent on tourism.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 101343Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13633Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10711Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 9528OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 8426Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7731How to help tornado victims
- 7199Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area