Share “4 children die in house fire outside Atlanta”

4 children die in house fire outside Atlanta

Published on NewsOK Modified: January 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm •  Published: January 9, 2013

CONYERS, Ga. (AP) — Four children, including an infant, died in a late-night house fire outside Atlanta even as rescuers tried to save them and a fifth child was thrown to safety by his mother, authorities said Wednesday.

The 6-year-old who survived was tossed from a second-floor window as the fire burned Tuesday in a duplex in Conyers, east of Atlanta.

"It saved his life," said Glenn Allen, a spokesman for Georgia's fire commissioner. The thrown child injured his shoulder in the fall.

In all, seven people were in the home: a grandmother, the mother and the five children, Allen said. Allen said the ages of the children who died were 8 months, 3, 5, and 7. Later Wednesday, Rockdale County spokeswoman Tonya Parker said the ages were 7 months, 3, 7, and 9.

The mother was in serious condition at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta with second- and third-degree burns on her back and arms, Allen said.

Neighbor Lamonta Stroud, 18, said he ran to the duplex, smashing windows and pleading with the children to come to a bathroom and escape.

"I just started hitting windows, breaking windows, breaking windows, screaming, 'Come to the bathroom, come to the bathroom, I can get you all out. Come to the bathroom, I can get you all out,'" Stroud recalled. "All I heard was stuff cracking and falling and just fire — so much was going on."

He said a little girl was at a window but would not jump, possibly because she was scared.

"There really wasn't that much I could do," Stroud recalled in a soft voice. "I tried."

The surviving child is being treated at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston, and his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, the Rockdale County Fire and Rescue Department said in a statement.

The children were in one unit of a two-story duplex in the town about 25 miles east of Atlanta. The other unit of the duplex was vacant, Allen said.

Officers arrived on the scene quickly after the fire was reported about 11 p.m. and tried unsuccessfully to put it out with hand-held fire extinguishers, Conyers Police Chief Gene Wilson told WXIA-TV.

Continue reading this story on the...