Share “4 ex-NFL players file new suit on concussions”

4 ex-NFL players file new suit on concussions

Published on NewsOK Modified: September 3, 2013 at 9:18 pm •  Published: September 3, 2013
Advertisement

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Four former NFL players have sued the league and its helmet maker, claiming they hid information about the dangers of brain injury. They want medical care for past, current and future NFL players.

The ex-players — Jimmy Williams, Rich Mauti, Jimmy Keyes and Nolan Franz — filed the federal lawsuit in New Orleans on Sunday.

Last week, the NFL tentatively agreed to pay $765 million to past players with health problems that can be caused by concussions, but some said the amount should have been more.

James Dugan II, the attorney for the former players bringing the new suit, did not immediately return calls and an email seeking comment.

Neither the league nor helmet maker Riddell, Inc. would comment Tuesday about the new suit, which claims they failed to protect players from brain injuries. Riddell isn't part of the proposed settlement.

Sol Weiss, co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs in the case being settled, told The Advocate of Baton Rouge that he expects the new complaint by the four ex-players to be made part of the larger settlement.

The players say they have suffered one or more traumatic brain injuries. They want the NFL and Riddell to set up and pay for a medical monitoring and treatment program for all former, current and future NFL players.

Continue reading this story on the...