50 piers are poured at Edmond's aquatic center
Construction continues at the site of the $22.5 million Edmond Recreation and Aquatic Center. Fifty of the 250 piers have been poured since the May 1 groundbreaking.
EDMOND — Construction has been completed on 50 of the 250 piers needed for the new $22.5 million Edmond Recreation and Aquatic Center.
City Manager Larry Stevens said the project is on schedule to be finished in the fall of 2013.
Site grading also has been finished since the May 1 groundbreaking.
“We are off and running, and we are happy about that,” Stevens said.
The competitive swimming pool and recreation center being built in J.L. Mitch Park is a partnership between the city, Edmond Public Schools and the YMCA. The competitive pool will have eight lanes, a 50-meter swimming pool and seating for up to 800 spectators.
Atlas General Contractor is constructing the building that will be owned by the city. The YMCA will operate the center, and school swim teams will use the competitive pool.
The unique partnership has the school district putting up $10 million for the construction. The YMCA is contributing $6 million, and the city is spending $6.5 million.
Edmond Electric is paying $691,000 for the geothermal cooling and heating system. An additional $535,000 will come from the city's park tax to pay for parking lot improvements.
Also, the three groups spent $983,018 on the design work.
YMCA officials expect to hire 15 to 20 full-time employees and an additional 100 part-time people to operate the center.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14537OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9306Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6496Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6052Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5977Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5977Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3990As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in