5th seed Vinci loses to Barthel at Open GDF Suez
PARIS (AP) — Fifth-seeded Roberta Vinci was eliminated from the Open GDF Suez on Wednesday, losing to Mona Barthel of Germany 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 in the second round.
Vinci struggled in the second set, dropping two of her service games, before Barthel immediately earned a break against the Italian to start the third. Vinci, who is ranked 16th, broke back but the 45th-ranked Barthel earned two more breaks to take the match.
Barthel will meet third-seeded Marion Bartoli in the quarterfinals after the Frenchwoman fought back from four set-points down to defeat American Christina McHale 7-5, 6-1.
Second-seeded Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic also advanced to the quarters, beating Stefanie Voegele of Switzerland 7-6 (5), 6-3.
In a first-round match, sixth-seeded Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic recovered from an early scare to beat Lourdes Dominguez Lino of Spain 2-6, 6-1, 6-1.
Safarova next faces Frenchwoman Alize Cornet in the second round.
Magdalena Rybarikova of Slovakia will face top-seeded Sara Errani of Italy after beating fellow qualifier Virginie Razzano of France 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.
Also moving on to the second round were Kiki Bertens of the Netherlands and Yanina Wickmayer of Belgium.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19791Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7602OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6827Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6472OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5877Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4499Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4468Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash