77-year-old pizza delivery man in fair condition after stabbing in Oklahoma City
A 77-year-old Del City man stabbed late Saturday while trying to deliver a pizza in southeast Oklahoma City is recovering at OU Medical Center.
The 77-year-old man stabbed while delivering pizza near Tinker Air Force Base is in fair condition at OU Medical Center, a hospital official said Monday.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The man's stab wound was so large his organs were protruding through the opening in his abdomen, according to a police incident report.
Police said the victim is Edward Hackett, of Del City, who works for a nearby Domino's Pizza store. Hackett was called Saturday night to Chapel Ridge Apartments, 5707 SE 48, in Oklahoma City. He knocked on the door but no one answered, he told police.
Hackett told police three black men jumped him from behind about 11:45 p.m. as he walked back to his vehicle. They said nothing during the attack, he told police.
Hackett underwent surgery at OU Medical Center after the attack.
Domino's spokesman Tim McIntyre said delivery personnel typically carry $20 or less, are asked to wear no jewelry other than a cheap watch and a wedding ring to avoid being targeted for robberies.
He said a foundation supported by Domino's employees could help the man with costs incurred after the stabbing. All stores in Oklahoma are independently operated.
“It's shocking someone could do this for a $12 pizza,” McIntyre said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 51290Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14843Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9419Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7710Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7083Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6592Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6563Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes