7th person arrested in British terrorism probe
LONDON (AP) — British police say they have arrested a seventh person over an alleged plot to launch a terrorist attack.
The Metropolitan Police says the 22-year-old woman was arrested Saturday at a home in east London "on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism."
Six other people were arrested on the same charges Thursday, including a British Muslim convert and three brothers who were detained by armed police at their home close to London's Olympic Park.
Counter-terror officers are on high alert ahead of the Summer Games, which begin July 27, but police say this week's arrests are not connected to the Olympics.
Britain's terrorist threat risk remains at substantial, the middle point on a five-point scale, meaning an attack is a strong possibility.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit