12 Days of Cookies: #8 - German Chocolate Snappers
#8 top voted cookie in our “12 Days of Cookies” contest brought to you by Hiland is from Rosalie Seebeck. Each of the 12 winners gets a year of free milk from Hiland Dairy.
- 1 pkg. (18.25oz.) German chocolate cake mix
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups pecan halves
- Caramel Frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, caramel topping, butter and vanilla. Mix well and set aside to frost cookies.
Preheat to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. In medium size mixing bowl, with electric mixer, combine 1/2 of cake mix, shortening and eggs. Add remaining cake mix, beat until well mixed, mixture will be thick.
Place 3 pecan halves, with ends touching in center, on cookie sheet. Form cookie dough into 1-inch round balls, place in center of pecans.
Bake 8-10 minutes, until centers are slightly puffed and edges are set. Cool, frost with caramel frosting, sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Makes 5-6 dozen cookies.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena