9-man Utrecht beats PSV Eindhoven in Eredivisie
AMSTERDAM (AP) — Nine-man FC Utrecht pulled off a 1-0 win over PSV Eindhoven in the Dutch Eredivisie on Sunday, condemning Dick Advocaat's team to its second defeat of the season.
In Alkmaar, U.S. striker Jozy Altidore scored a hat trick and provided an assist to take his season's goal tally to a league-leading seven in five matches as AZ beat Roda JC 4-0.
"It was a special day for me, but must importantly the team played very well," Altidore said.
Altidore has sometimes struggled for form since arriving at AZ last year, but he has looked unstoppable this season.
"It has been a struggle to get him going," coach Gertjan Verbeek said, "but I'm not surprised that he's doing so well now."
Vitesse Arnhem also made light of Jan-Arie van der Heijden being sent off in the 30th minute, as it scored three second-half goals to beat Groningen 3-0 and move into second place in the league.
PSV is considered one of the main contenders for the league title, but looked weary in just the fifth match of the season.
"We can have few excuses," Advocaat said. "This was a deserved win for Utrecht. We missed fighting spirit. Some players even looked tired."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort