JOHNSON COUNTY, KS - A family is devastated and health officials are searching for answers after a 9-year-old Kansas girl died from a "brain-eating amoeba" after swimming in several different bodies of water over the last seven to 14 days, KCTV reports.
Hally "Bug" Nicole Yust passed away Wednesday. The Kansas Department of Health and Environment determined that Hally died from primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) caused by Naegleria fowleri.
Officials have not determined exactly where the Spring Hill girl contracted the infection. She apparently had been swimming in several area lakes. As an avid water skier, it's likely that Hally got the infection when lake water got up her nose.
See this story on www.kctv5.com