A daily look at the NHL lockout
WHAT WE MISSED: An 11-game slate was lost Saturday, including the Pittsburgh Penguins visiting the New Jersey Devils in an Atlantic Division matchup. Pittsburgh finished second last season, six points ahead of the Devils, who also made the playoffs.
ON THIS DAY LAST YEAR: The Ottawa Senators had four players elected to the All-Star game, including defenseman Erik Karlsson who led all vote-getters in fan balloting. Captain Daniel Alfredsson and fellow forwards Milan Michalek and Jason Spezza were also elected for the game that was being hosted by the Senators on Jan. 29. Toronto defenseman Dion Phaneuf and Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas joined them. Karlsson received a league-best 939,951 votes, 42,536 more than Alfredsson. About 24 million votes were cast by fans in the all-digital balloting.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit