A flash in sky seen just before deadly Oklahoma City helicopter crash
A helicopter crash that killed two men in Oklahoma City remains under investigation. Preliminary data shows a loss of satellite data shortly into the flight Feb. 22.
A man driving in northwest Oklahoma City said he saw a “flash” just before a medical helicopter crashed Feb. 22, a preliminary report shows.
Videoview all videos
Mar 14A helicopter crash that killed two men in Oklahoma City...
Feb 22Audio from 911 call received by Oklahoma City Fire Dispatch.
Feb 22Two people are dead and another person taken to a...
Photoview all 16 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The man, identified as David Rogers, said he has had several interviews with authorities since the crash to recount what he saw that morning.
“I was driving to the doughnut shop, driving south down Rockwell just north of Britton and I saw this flash in the sky. But the flash was kind of like lightning behind the clouds. Not direct, but muffled,” Rogers said.
An EagleMed helicopter with three crew members aboard took off from Integris Baptist Medical Center at 5:38 a.m. Feb. 22. Data from a satellite stopped about three minutes and 30 seconds into the flight to Watonga to pick up a cardiac patient, a National Transportation Safety Board preliminary report shows.
The report did not indicate what may have caused the flash.
The crash killed the pilot, a nurse and left a paramedic who was onboard with critical injuries.
Pilot Mark Montgomery, 47, of Norman, died from multiple blunt force trauma and thermal injuries. The medical examiner has not released the cause of death of flight nurse Chris Denning, 41, of Yukon.
Paramedic Billy Wynne, 31, survived and was taken to a Dallas hospital, where he is reported to be in serious condition, a spokeswoman said Thursday. No patients were aboard the helicopter when it crashed.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims