EDMOND — Crews working on the $16.1 million road-widening project in northwest Edmond are ready to pour the asphalt base along Kelly Avenue on Tuesday, if the weather cooperates.
Work on improvements along Covell Road and Kelly Avenue started in late December.
City Engineer Steve Manek said one-fourth of the project is finished. Completion is expected by the end of October, depending on the weather.
An asphalt base and concrete pavement have been completed on the westbound lanes on Covell Road.
“Shortly, drivers will be driving on the new pavement while they work on the other lanes,” Manek said. “They are making really good progress.”
Covell Road will be widened to four lanes from just east of Santa Fe Avenue to Thomas Drive.
New signal lights will be installed at Covell and Thomas and at Marilyn Williams Drive and Covell.
Kelly Avenue will be widened between Danforth and Covell roads.
Plans are to install turn lanes at all side streets on Kelly Avenue and to add street lighting and landscaping.
One lane of traffic is expected to remain open at all times during the construction.
No major issues have arisen since the project got started, Manek said.
“Noise has been a minor issue,” Manek said. “It has been messy, noisy and bumpy. We are asking for a little more patience, and we will be out of there and won't bug them again.”
State Transportation Department officials will use federal money to pay for 80 percent of the improvements. Edmond will pay the remaining 20 percent, or $3.2 million.
Across town, city officials are working to improve the Bryant Avenue bridge. Construction cost is estimated at nearly $1.1 million.
Work to move the utilities started in May. Construction should take six to eight months to complete, Manek said.