• Oklahoma has voted in 26 presidential elections since statehood.
• The first Oklahoma presidential election was in 1908, when Democrat William Jennings Bryan carried the state but lost the presidency to William Howard Taft; 254,983 people voted.
• Oklahomans have voted for the winner 19 times.
• Oklahomans favored the eventual winner in every election from 1928 through 1956.
• Of the seven times Oklahoma has voted for the eventual loser, five have come since 1960 (Richard Nixon, 1960; Gerald Ford, 1976; George H.W. Bush, 1992; Robert Dole, 1996; and John McCain, 2008).
• Oklahomans have voted for the Democratic presidential candidate 10 times, including four times for FDR and twice for Woodrow Wilson.
• The last Democrat to win the state was Lyndon Johnson in 1964.
• The first Republican to carry the state was Warren Harding in 1920.
• The biggest margin of victory was achieved in 1972 by then-President Richard Nixon, who got 74 percent of the vote in Oklahoma in defeating George McGovern.
• The closest presidential race in Oklahoma was in 1976, when then-President Gerald Ford got 49.96 percent and Jimmy Carter got 48.75 percent.
• Candidates have carried every county in the state four times: Democrat Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1932, Republican Richard Nixon in 1972, Republican George W. Bush in 2004 and Republican John McCain in 2008.
• Since 1908, Oklahomans have cast 12.3 million votes for Republican presidential candidates, 9.9 million for Democrats and 970,536 for independents or candidates of other parties.
• Independent Ross Perot drew nearly 320,000 votes in Oklahoma in 1992 — 23 percent of the overall vote; American Party candidate George Wallace drew 20 percent of the vote in 1968.
• After the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified giving women the right to vote, 486,610 Oklahomans voted in the 1920 election, up from 292,753 in 1916.
• More Oklahomans voted in 2004, 1,463,758, than in 2008, 1,462,661
Chris Casteel, Washington Bureau
Sources: Oklahoma State Election Board; USelectionatlas.org