A look at other comp fraud cases
Here is a brief look at some other comp fraud cases:
Pauline K. Musgrove was accused of lying when she said she hurt her back in December 2009 when an escaping student ran into her at Varangon Academy, a youth treatment center in Norman.
A surveillance camera at the center recorded the student running from a classroom but “the video shows clearly from multiple angles … that there was no physical contact of any nature between Ms. Musgrove and the juvenile male during the attempted escape,” according to a court affidavit.
Musgrove, 58, pleaded guilty in 2010 and agreed to repay almost $400 in restitution. She also agreed to be on probation for three years. Despite her guilty plea, she said in an interview last week that the student did run into her and that the video must have been doctored somehow to remove the collision.
“Why would I lie if I knew there were cameras there?” she said. “I took the rap for something I didn't do.”
Pamela Gosney, 52, was accused of deliberately running into a cleaning cart that was propping open a restroom door at Dish Network in Tulsa in 2010.
Video from a surveillance camera shows her going in and out of the restroom, getting a drink from the water fountain and looking in both directions. She then deliberately “bulldozed” into the cleaning cart and hit the floor on her right side, according to a court affidavit.
Gosney, of Tulsa, pleaded guilty to the felony in October. She agreed to spend five years on probation and pay $6,479 in restitution.
“I filed a workmen's comp action as a result of an alleged injury I sustained at work to my left leg,” she said in her plea paperwork. “In reality, I suffered no injury at work but pretended to have a fall. I was caught on camera. I committed fraud to have workers' comp cover an old injury.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims