A-Rod, Granderson still out of lineup for Game 4
DETROIT (AP) — Alex Rodriguez was benched twice for the same game.
Rodriguez and Curtis Granderson were still out of New York's starting lineup for Game 4 of the AL championship series on Thursday, a day after the game was postponed by rain.
New York trailed 3-0 in the AL championship series against Detroit. Manager Joe Girardi has juggled his lineup throughout the postseason, trying to find the right combination.
The Yankees kept their lineup the same as it would have been Wednesday — with Rodriguez on the bench for the third time in nine postseason games.
"There's really not a whole lot to change because of rain," Girardi said. "Our decisions aren't made on a whim."
Rodriguez pinch hit for Raul Ibanez in the sixth inning when Jim Leyland brought in left-hander Drew Smyly. A-Rod hit a flyball to center field to end the inning with runners on first and third. He dropped to 3 for 24 with no RBIs in these playoffs.
Granderson joined Rodriguez on the bench after another hitless night in Game 3 dropped the center fielder to 3 for 29 with 15 strikeouts. Granderson hit 43 homers with 106 RBIs this season.
"I wasn't in yesterday. I didn't expect it to change. I'll be ready whenever they need me," Granderson said. "My swing is OK. It could be better, but it is OK. It's hard to get a lot of hits when you are swinging at pitches out of the zone, and that's the big problem right now. It's a lot simpler if you swing at strikes."
Nick Swisher, benched in Game 3, returned to the lineup in right field and had an RBI double in the sixth inning. Eric Chavez started at third base in place of Rodriguez. Brett Gardner started in Granderson's normal spot.
Chavez entered 0 for 14 in the postseason.
"His at-bats have been OK," Girardi said. "I thought he got the barrel of the bat to (Detroit ace Justin) Verlander three times."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 82322Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14350Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8268Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7560Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7513How to help tornado victims
- 6279Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5999Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community