A tale of two candidacies
John came to me seeking to position himself for both project management and business and financial analyst roles. Knowing we would need to send completely different messages to each of those audiences, we embarked on creating two rĂ©sumĂ©s to promote the skills and experiences he possessed that were most applicable to each target hiring manager.
Original rĂ©sumĂ© â€¦
Johnâ€™s original rĂ©sumĂ© appeared crowded, unfocused, and disparate given he had transitioned from a career role of 12 years into a startup organization. Having left his career in 2010, the image created by Johnâ€™s original rĂ©sumĂ© seemed to be one of simply volunteering for a nonprofit organization in his free time. Certainly not the case, Johnâ€™s new rĂ©sumĂ© needed to reflect the robust nature of his involvement in his most recent role, while gearing the content toward how he now wanted to position himself. Critical in an effective rĂ©sumĂ©, the story John needed to tell was more about what he wanted to do in the future, rather than what he had done in the past.
New rĂ©sumĂ© â€¦
Not only did Johnâ€™s rĂ©sumĂ© need a makeover in terms of formatting and construction, but it also needed to tell two different stories. I opened Johnâ€™s rĂ©sumĂ©s with qualifications summaries which showcased his involvement in the (1) project management field, and (2) the business and financial analyst arena. Opening with powerful instead of vague statements, contrast his old versus his new introductions:
Results-oriented manager: experienced at planning, directing and executing diverse, detailed projects to satisfactory completion.
New project management rĂ©sumĂ©:
Plan and direct multimillion-dollar projects from concept to completionâ€”Possess 10+ years of project management and engineering experience, and the depth of knowledge to execute projects for optimal efficiency, quality, and cost-effectiveness while coordinating internal and external stakeholders.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister