A timeline of events in American Airlines' history
1930: American Airways Inc. is incorporated. The name changes to American Airlines Inc. in 1934.
1937: American carries its one-millionth passenger.
1939: The company's shares begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
1945: Flights to Europe begin under the American Overseas Airlines brand. AOA later merged with Pan Am.
1948: The airline offers scheduled coach service at lower prices than first-class.
1953: American began nonstop, coast-to-coast flights on the Douglas DC-7.
1959: American offers transcontinental jet service on the Boeing 707.
1977: American introduces the "Super Saver" fare.
1979: The airline moves its headquarters from New York City to Fort Worth, Texas.
1981: The AAdvantage frequent-flier program is born and eventually becomes the model for loyalty plans at other big airlines.
1982: Shareholders approve a reorganization plan that creates parent AMR Corp.
1985: Robert L. Crandall becomes chairman and CEO.
1991: American carries its one-billionth passenger.
1998: Crandall retires and is succeeded by Donald J. Carty.
1998: American acquires low-cost Reno Air; pilots later conduct a costly sickout in protest.
2001: American acquires assets of bankrupt TWA; the deal eventually leaves American saddled with old planes and too many employees. On Sept. 11, two American Airlines jets and two United Airlines jets are hijacked by terrorists and crash.
2003: With the company on the brink of bankruptcy, Gerard J. Arpey replaces Carty as CEO; labor unions approve cost-cutting contracts that let AMR avert bankruptcy.
2008: American fails to reach new contracts with union employees, who continue to work under terms of previous agreements.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort