AAA offers tips for driving in snow and ice
With possible snow and ice coming to many parts of Oklahoma this Sunday or Monday, AAA reminds motorists that getting around safely in winter conditions requires preparation, planning and patience.
“Now is the perfect time to make sure your vehicle is winter weather ready,” said Chuck Mai, spokesman for AAA Oklahoma. “Sooner or later, you know we’re going to get hit with ice, snow and cold, windy conditions.”
You’ll need a good, strong battery. If you have doubts about yours, have it checked by an auto technician.
Top off all fluids.
Check belts and hoses for wear.
Make sure your tires are properly inflated and check for adequate tread by using the penny trick. Pinch a Lincoln’s-head penny from the base between your thumb and forefinger, so that the top of Lincoln's head is showing. Place the top of Lincoln's head into the tire’s tread grooves in several places on the tire. If you can see above Lincoln's head as you do this, you’re ready for a new tire.
Check weather conditions in the areas you’ll be driving. Chose major routes.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 83533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16617OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12334Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11110Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8849How to help tornado victims