Abandoned apartment building in Oklahoma City turns into dream home
Larry and Regina Waters are moving into their dream home in Deep Deuce eight years after buying the former two-story Clark Building at 16 NE 2 in Oklahoma City.
Videoview all videos
Sep 26Steve Lackmeyer visits with Larry Waters in his newly...
Photoview all 9 photos
The second and third floors will be the Waters' full-time residence. The kitchen, designed for his wife Regina, a surgical nurse, includes countertop seating for a dozen visitors with the cooking area that boasts a brick oven.
“She loves to cook, she likes to have friends over and she wants to have cooking classes,” Waters said.
Between the kitchen and large dining area is a large wall awaiting the addition of large flat screen television. Their bedroom and living areas boast views of the central business and Bricktown skylines.
The addition on the rooftop required installation of steel beams to support the added weight. The combined living area and secondary kitchen on the rooftop is in a room that has glass doors designed to create an outdoor space similar to a lanai-style room in Hawaii.
“The views are incredible,” Waters said. “You can sit around in the evenings and see everything. You can walk to everything. The only thing missing was a grocery store and now we've got Native Roots coming in across the street.”
The Waters have already hosted private parties with friends. They realize their new home — especially their rooftop — might be requested by various groups for parties and events. But for now, they're simply focused on making the Clark Building their home.
“We're just going to enjoy it,” Waters said. “Our kids will come over, our grandkids will come over, and we're going to have fun. That's what life is all about.”
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 12458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6211Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5407Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4993Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4408OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3817Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law