ABC's broadcast team of Sean McDonough and Matt Millen clearly had fun calling OSU's 38-26 victory over Texas, commenting on everything from the game referee's muscles, the apathetic Longhorn fans to a colony of a million bats in Austin, Texas. However, Millen went overboard in complimenting the improvement of the Longhorns since their dismal showing last week against OU without giving OSU its due.
Millen, a former Detroit Lions president, noted that Texas accomplished many of its game goals in running the ball and controlling possession, but still lost. McDonough chimed in. "I think that's a testimony to what a good team Oklahoma State is."
The telecast noted that ESPN expert Brad Edwards ranked OSU No. 4 in his projected BCS rankings, behind LSU, Alabama and OU.
Some of the announcers' better lines:
* McDonough on Cowboys' coaching staff: "Mike Gundy has done a very good job of replacing coaches on his staff. He lost Dana Holgorsen to West Virginia and brings in Todd Monken. If anything, they are better. Mike Gundy, to me, is a guy who just hasn't gotten anywhere the credit he deserves."
* McDonough chiding OSU returner Justin Gilbert for downing the ball in the end zone after Gilbert and Foswhitt Whittaker had back-to-back 100-yard kickoff returns. "You got to try it. Oh, come on. Maybe he was still winded."
* Millen on OSU running back Jeremy Smith's 74-yard touchdown run after complimenting the blocking of left guard Nick Martinez and center Grant Garner for clearing the way. "Here comes Moses going through the Red Sea! There is no one in the middle of the field. They (Texas) took a chance and it didn't work."
* Millen on the apathetic Texas crowd in the fourth quarter. "These fans are just sitting there, like get in the game! As a player you always feed off the crowd. Nothing here today."
* McDonough on the crowd booing game officials after OSU quarterback Brandon Weeden's stepped on the end line in the end zone for a safety, nullifying an interception. "Interestingly, they make more noise booing the officials than cheering their team. These people have booed three correct calls in a row."
Continue reading this story on the...