AC Milan set to sign Balotelli from Man City
MILAN (AP) — AC Milan announced on Tuesday that it has reached an agreement with Manchester City to sign Italy striker Mario Balotelli from the English champions.
City declined to comment on reports that a deal had been struck for the 22-year-old forward, who joined the Premier League club from Milan's city rival Inter in 2010.
However, speaking after the team's 0-0 draw at Queens Park Rangers late Tuesday, City coach Robert Mancini sounded resigned to losing the player.
"An agreement has been reached with Manchester City, Balotelli will have a medical tomorrow and then sign," Milan director Umberto Gandini told The Associated Press. "If he doesn't pass the medical, it won't happen."
Italian media reported that Balotelli would sign a 4½-year deal with Milan through 2017, bringing an end to a turbulent 2½ years in English football.
Asked about the day's events, Mancini said: "It was difficult because I lost one striker, one important striker ... it's difficult to find a solution for us now.
"It will be a good chance for him to stay with his family, to play for Milan," Mancini said of Balotelli. "I think he can improve and I'm happy he will become one of the best players in the world ... you can be upset with him sometimes, but afterwards he's a lovely lad."
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli also believes Balotelli would be making the right move.
"Now a lot depends on him. He has everything he needs to show his true worth," Prandelli told Italian news agency ANSA.
"It's what Mario was looking for. He's gone to a club which knows how to work with young players, including all the aspects off the pitch. Now it's up to him."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers