Share “Milan signs Van Ginkel but Biabiany move...”

Milan signs Van Ginkel but Biabiany move collapses

Published on NewsOK Modified: September 1, 2014 at 5:15 pm •  Published: September 1, 2014
Advertisement

MILAN (AP) — AC Milan had a busy final day of the transfer window as it completed the signings of Marco van Ginkel and Giacomo Bonaventura but saw the deal for Jonathan Biabiany collapse at the last moment.

The 21-year-old Van Ginkel has been brought in on a one-year loan deal from Chelsea, joining former Stamford Bridge teammate Fernando Torres — who signed a two-year loan deal at the weekend.

"I am very happy, Milan is a great club where many Dutch players have played and some big names," Van Ginkel said. "I know Nigel De Jong from my experiences with the national team, I spoke to him about Milan and he said excellent things about the club."

Van Ginkel joined Chelsea last summer from Vitesse Arnhem but the Netherlands midfielder made just four appearances due to a cruciate ligament injury.

Biabiany had agreed to the move from Parma and had already posed in the Milan shirt and scarf, but the Rossoneri later released a statement saying the move had fallen through after Cristian Zaccardo — who was part of the reported 4 million-euro ($5.25-million) deal — failed to agree personal terms with Parma.

"There was an agreement with Parma and Biabiany, but Zaccardo turned down that destination too," Milan vice president Adriano Galliani said. "We thought then that we needed another player and we decided on Bonaventura. He's a great player but also a great person. When he signed he started crying."

The 25-year-old Bonaventura, who has one Italy cap, progressed through the ranks at Atalanta and has now signed a five-year contract at Milan.

Galliani said Milan has funded the move for Bonaventura with the transfer free paid by Benfica for talented teenager Bryan Cristante, who wanted more playing time.

Continue reading this story on the...