Actor Gary Sinise supporting veterans in Ill.
LISLE, Ill. (AP) — Hollywood actor Gary Sinise is helping promote a summer concert in suburban Chicago that will benefit veterans.
The "Forrest Gump" star helped kickoff ticket sales for "Rockin' for the Troops" on Thursday at the Navistar headquarters in Lisle.
The concert is planned for July 21 in nearby Weaton. Sinise is slated to perform with his Lt. Dan Band, which is named for his character in the Oscar-winning movie.
The Daily Herald reports (http://bit.ly/IN38n4 ) that proceeds will benefit Operation Support Our Troops America. The Naperville-based charity has raised $2 million for projects benefiting veterans, including research on post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury.
Sinise says "we all enjoy what the military provides for us."
Officials from Navistar and other companies also announced efforts to hire returning veterans.
Information from: Daily Herald, http://www.dailyherald.com
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort