Adams scores 2 to lift Pens to 3-1 win over Jets
WINNIPEG, Manitoba (AP) — Craig Adams wishes he had more nights like this.
The Pittsburgh winger scored his first two goals of the season and the Penguins earned their 10th victory with a 3-1 win over the Winnipeg Jets on Friday night.
"If I had more nights like this I would make a better living," Adams said.
Adams scored one goal at 3:19 of the first period and added an empty-netter with 28 seconds left for the team's seventh road victory.
James Neal scored his 11th goal this season on the power play in the third, while Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury turned aside 25 shots but couldn't notch his first shutout of the year.
Jets captain Andrew Ladd was the spoiler when he took a rebound from Bryan Little's shot and sent the puck low between Fleury's outstretched glove and the post at 18:25 of the third.
Ondrej Pavelec stopped 25 shots as the Jets lost their third straight at home and fell to 5-7-1.
After a slow start with only six shots on net in the first period, the Jets peppered Fleury with some quality chances in the second.
"They came out hard, threw pucks at the net and put guys there," Fleury said. "But then the guys on our side, they were blocking shots and taking rebounds away also."
The biggest blow Winnipeg received was about two and a half minutes into the game when leading scorer Tobias Enstrom was checked into the boards by Pascal Dupuis. No penalty was called.
Enstrom left the ice holding his right arm.
After the game, Jets head coach Claude Noel said Enstrom looked to be in "pretty big pain" when he came to the bench.
He didn't describe what the injury was, but did warn "it won't be day to day" for the defenseman who entered the game with two goals and 13 points.
Winnipeg did have defenseman Zach Bogosian back for his first game of the season after recovering from wrist surgery. He ended up logging 25 minutes, 38 seconds of ice time.
"It feels good to be back out there," Bogosian said.
He wasn't impressed, though, with the 5-on-3 the Penguins were given just before Neal's goal.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M