After delay, Collins signs with Arkansas
PLANTATION, Fla. (AP) — Alex Collins was dressed in a camouflage jumpsuit, complete with a matching tie.
Maybe an odd choice, considering that on the day he was supposed to sign his letter of intent with Arkansas, it was his mother's signature that couldn't be found.
No matter. A day later than he intended — and after yet another odd twist to his recruiting saga — Collins signed with the Razorbacks on Thursday. The highly rated and highly coveted running back from South Plantation High near Fort Lauderdale, Fla., did so with his father providing the written consent required by NCAA rules.
Collins said his mother, who would not sign the letter of intent on Wednesday as many expected, supported his college decision. But she was notably absent from his hastily scheduled event on Thursday, and a law firm founded by former O.J. Simpson attorney Johnnie Cochran said that Andrea McDonald retained their services to represent "the family's interests."
That announcement was made about 45 minutes before Alex Collins and his father Johnny Collins put pens to paper, officially sealing his college choice.
"I'm happy it's over," Alex Collins said. "I didn't think about going anywhere else because I had my mind set. This is where I wanted to go. I just talked to my mom. I let her know. I explained myself and we have a better understanding."
The running back said he was unaware that his mother hired attorney Jack Paris from the Cochran Law Firm, insisting that "no one hired any lawyers." But in a statement Thursday, Paris said the Collins family wanted "to make a clean choice that is free of any outside influences."
"It's where he wanted to go," said Johnny Collins, who was not part of Wednesday's planned ceremony.
Later Thursday, Paris released a second statement, saying it remains "a difficult time" for McDonald.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister