Afton couple charged with child abuse
A 36-day-old baby boy was taken to a hospital in March with broken bones and possible brain damage, authorities said.
JAY — An Afton couple charged with child abuse remain jailed on $100,000 bail each after their infant son was taken to a Tulsa hospital with multiple broken bones, the Delaware County district attorney confirmed Thursday.
Child abuse charges were filed Tuesday against Christopher Tatroe, 22, and NickoleJean Patterson, 21, both of rural Delaware County.
The couple were taken into custody Wednesday.
Mike Eason, drug and violent crime task force investigator, said the 36-day-old boy was taken March 22 to St. Francis Hospital with broken bones and the possibility of brain damage.
“The doctors said the injuries were not accidental,” Eason said.
Patterson told investigators the infant rolled off a couch when he was between 2 and 3 weeks old.
Patterson and Tatroe's mother both told investigators Tatroe suffered from bipolar disorder, was very possessive of the baby and had a violent temper, Eason said.
Eason said medical records showed the infant had fractures to his right leg and right wrist, a bruise to the right side of his forehead and a case of thrush.
The couple became combative when authorities took the infant into custody, Eason said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister