Share “Alabama commitment David Cornwell injures...”

Alabama commitment David Cornwell injures knee in Norman North's victory over Yukon

Jake Edzards kicked another late game-winner to give Norman North the victory, but star quarterback David Cornwell injured his right knee while punting in the second quarter.
by Scott Wright Published: October 4, 2013

— Norman North coach Wade Standley couldn't hold it back.

The coach whose happy-go-lucky persona off the field gives way to one of pure fire and intensity on the sideline showed a third side Friday night, trying to fight back tears as he spoke about his team's last-second 45-42 win over Yukon at Miller Stadium.

Over the previous 3 1/2 hours, Standley had seen his star quarterback and Alabama commit, David Cornwell, go out with a knee injury, then stood by as tight end Tyler Sipe lay face down on the turf for nearly 30 minutes before being carted off on a stretcher.

And when everything appeared to be unraveling around the Timberwolves, Standley's team fought back to put a happy ending on a dramatic and emotional Friday night.

A week after making a 43-yard, game-winning field goal as time expired to beat Midwest City 45-42, Norman North kicker Jake Edzards found himself back on the field, this time 35 yards away, with the score once again tied at 42.

And like a week ago, Edzards knocked the game-winner through the uprights.

“It was just heart and soul, man. These guys just showed a tremendous amount of character,” Standley said, choking up as he spoke. “It's about the T-Wolves, man. That's what these guys play for. Not the name on the back of the jersey. They play for the name on the front.”

Getting to the point that Edzards had the opportunity to win the game once again was a spectacle.

Cornwell suffered a right knee injury just before halftime. He was lined up to punt out of the shotgun formation — which he often does — but a bad snap led to the punt getting blocked. Cornwell suffered the injury during the scramble for the ball.

Cornwell was all smiles after the game, walking on crutches with an ice pack on his knee, but declined to talk to reporters. The extent of his injury won't be known until an MRI can be performed in the next couple of days, Standley said.

Reports were good on Sipe after the game. He was moving his extremities, waving to his team as he was taken to an ambulance, and the hospital trip was only precautionary.

Cornwell's departure left junior John Kolar — a 6-foot-4 starting wide receiver — to handle quarterbacking duties in the second half.

Continue reading this story on the...

by Scott Wright
A lifelong resident of the Oklahoma City metro area, Scott Wright has been on The Oklahoman staff since 2005, covering a little bit of everything on the state's sports scene. He has been a beat writer for football and basketball at Oklahoma and...
+ show more


  1. 1
    Google unveils new logo with emphasis on apps, devices
  2. 2
    Woman arrested after reportedly hitting Oklahoma restaurant employee with beer bottle
  3. 3
    RGIII blames intern for liking Instagram post critical of Daniel Snyder
  4. 4
    Biden to join labor boss at Labor Day event
  5. 5
    Even after settling lawsuit, TSA agents taking milk from babies
+ show more


× Trending high school Article