Alcohol, excessive speed contribute to fatal boat crash at Oklahoma's Grand Lake, officials say
An after-wedding party cruising on the lake was stopped by marine police two hours before the collision for not following lake rules, according to the report.
JAY — The Grand River Dam Authority's preliminary report about a fatal boat crash on Grand Lake states alcohol and excessive speed contributed to the crash.
The after-wedding party cruising on the lake was stopped by GRDA police two hours before the collision for not following lake rules, according to the report.
The July 29 crash threw Monte Price, 39, of Jay, from the boat. His body was found 12 hours later in 50 feet of water in the Duck Creek arm of Grand Lake.
Brian Smith, 39, of Tahlequah, and Brooks Carroll, 17, of Eucha, also were thrown into the lake, according to the report. Also injured was Roger Shane Carroll, 39, of Eucha, the Jay Middle School principal.
Police stopped the group shortly before midnight for operating above idle speed in a no wake zone, according to the report.
Investigators were not able to determine the boat's speed at the time of the crash, but it was determined the boat was above idle, a violation of Duck Creek rules, the report states.
Numerous opened and unopened cans of beer found in and around the boat and an alcoholic odor was detected on Smith and Shane Carroll, the report states.
The report states Shane Carroll was operating the boat, but Shane Carroll and Brooks Carroll told police Price was driving the boat.
Winston Connor II, Shane Carroll's attorney, said his client was not driving the boat.
The report did not include the results of a blood test performed on Shane Carroll. Price's autopsy reported his blood alcohol level was 0.20 and his cause of death was an accidental drowning.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14189Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12474Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11484OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9977Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8873Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7409Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 7240Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated