All-State football: Tom Noles still loves high school athletics
1966 All-State guard went on to a successful high school coaching career.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The Oklahoman will look back on the previous 99 years of Oklahoman All-State football teams, leading up to the unveiling of the 100th All-State team on Dec. 23. Each Sunday and Wednesday until then, we'll take a look back at a team from each decade. This installment of the series looks at the sixes — 1916, 1926, 1936, etc. On Sunday, we'll look back at the sevens.
Noles also took plenty from Lindsay football coach Bill Froman.
“He was ahead of his time in what he did offensively and defensively,” Noles said. “He probably got more out of less talent than anybody I've ever been around.”
But Noles didn't decide to go into coaching until he was at Oklahoma State.
He eventually spent 40 years coaching, the first 34 in football and the last six in golf until retiring two years ago.
“High school sports is the ultimate to me,” Noles said. “When I go to a football game on a Thursday or Friday night and see the stands half full, I think about how much people are missing out on some great things.
“It's so pure and true and just a great entertainment value.”
Noles is retired, living in Moore, and spends as much time as possible with his mother, Lucille, and his mother-in-law. He also fits in plenty of “golf and doing the laundry” and still finds his way into a stadium most Friday nights in the fall.
This Friday, he'll be in Stillwater to watch Norman North play Jenks for the Class 6A title. One of his closest friends, Eddie Paul, is the athletic director at Norman North.
“Football and sports and athletics have been my whole life,” he said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14558OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11841Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8216Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6574Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6065Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5464Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4374Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?