All-State volleyball: East teams take control
Just like the state tournaments last October, All-State volleyball was dominated by the East side of the state Tuesday night at Bixby High School.
NewsOK Related Articles
In the large-school match, consisting of Class 6A players, the East took two of three games, winning 25-14, 20-25, 25-15.
Bartlesville's Sadie Schaffner was named the game's Most Valuable player for her strong play at the net both offensively and defensively.
Behind MVP Aryn Dixon of Cascia Hall, the Small East struck fast for a 2-1 victory (25-15, 25-22, 18-25) over the Small West.
Dixon was joined by Cascia teammate Allie Murphy, with head coach Jenny Duncan leading the squad, and the Class 5A state champs were able to get one more win together.
Cache's Madison Ward, who signed with Oklahoma, was named MVP for the West squad.
CHRISTMAS IN JULY
Oklahoma Bible's Taylor Christmas received the Jim Thorpe Volleyball Player of the Year award.
Christmas helped lead Oklahoma Bible to the state semifinals in its first season in Class 5A.
Tulsa Kelley coach Jerri Berna was named the Coach of the Year. Berna has led the Comets to five consecutive state championships, including a championship in their first Class 6A season last fall.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6211Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5407Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4993Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4408OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3817Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law