TURIN, Italy (AP) — New Juventus coach Massimo Allegri says he was both surprised and honored when the Italian champions approached him to take the job on Wednesday, just a day after Antonio Conte made his sudden departure.
The 46-year-old Allegri was fired by Milan in January after 3 1/2 seasons with the squad, having led the Rossoneri to the Serie A title in his first year in charge in 2010-11. He also previously coached Grosseto, Sassuolo and Cagliari.
"It was like a lightning bolt in a clear sky when I was called yesterday," Allegri said after signing a two-year deal. "It's an honor and I realize how important it is to coach Juventus. I'm here to help this squad continue to win."
Conte led Juventus to the past three Serie A titles but left by mutual consent Tuesday.
"We're closing one winning cycle and opening another," Juventus chief executive Giuseppe Marotta said. "We had to react quickly and the choice of Allegri was made to continue winning."
Conte hinted that his departure was due to differences with club officials over the transfer market. He reportedly wanted to sign highly priced players like Chile's Alexis Sanchez, who instead left Barcelona for Arsenal, and Colombia's Juan Cuadrado, who is still entertaining offers to leave Fiorentina, but the club didn't agree.
Instead, Juventus has gone after Manchester United left back Patrice Evra, Real Madrid forward Alvaro Morata and Hellas Verona striker Juan Manuel Iturbe.
Continue reading this story on the...