America beats Pumas to advance to Mexican playoffs
MEXICO CITY (AP) — America defeated Pumas 1-0 in the Mexico City derby on Sunday to qualify for the playoffs with two rounds remaining in the Mexican Apertura football championship.
Tijuana, Toluca and Leon are also guaranteed a place in the postseason after the weekend results. Tijuana drew 1-1 with Morelia, Toluca lost 3-0 to Cruz Azul, while Leon defeated Jaguares 4-1.
In other weekend matches, Monterrey won 3-2 against Santos Laguna, Chivas overcame Atlas 2-0, Pachuca defeated Tigres 1-0, Atlante drew 1-1 against Puebla and San Luis and Queretaro drew 0-0.
Daniel Montenegro fired in the winner from 25 meters (yards) for America in the 26th minute.
Miguel Sabah scored from the penalty spot for Morelia against Tijuana, canceling out Colombian Duvier Riascos* 9th minute opener. The point was enough to move Tijuana into first position in the league table with Toluca losing.
Cruz Azul opened the scoring against Toluca through Gerado Flores, with Mexico international Javier Aquino adding the second in the 35th and Argentine Mariano Pavone sealing the victory in the 74th.
Second half goals from Hernan Burbano and Carlos Pena extended Leon*s lead against Jaguares.
Matias Britos got the first in the 5th and Luis Montes got the second in the 29th, two minutes after Luis Gabriel Rey had equalized for Jaguares with a penalty.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 96630Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13870Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9391Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8546Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8291OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7627How to help tornado victims
- 7193Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges