America has more guns and more mass killings
Why do so many young, white American males take guns and become mass killers? I've read that it's our culture of violence. Yet Europe has the same movies, music, video games and similar TV programs. I've read that it's because we don't have prayer in schools or before sporting events. But so few Europeans attend religious services that the churches and cathedrals are primarily museums and tourist attractions. I've read that the shooters are mentally ill. Is there more mental illness in America than other countries?
NewsOK Related Articles
America isn't that different from the rest of the world and yet the mass killings that have become so common here are a rarity in other countries. The United States has 5 percent of the world's population and 50 percent of its guns. Maybe that's the reason our young men become mass killers.
Delores Jackson, Oklahoma City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 98297Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16555OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13177Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8674Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8399Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8073How to help tornado victims
- 7770Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort