Americans need a conservative alternative
Every time Republicans lose an election, liberals say Republicans must abandon conservative principles. When Richard Nixon used wage and price controls, did that bit of liberalism work out? When Jimmy Carter continued with detente the Russians reached out their loving hand of peace and invaded Afghanistan. When Bill Clinton changed banking regulations, the banks made more risky loans and George W. Bush took the blame. Are those good examples of why Republicans should abandon conservatism?
NewsOK Related Articles
Medicare, Medicaid and tort lawyers have made quality health insurance too expensive. If your veterinarian was invaded by the world of government health care, your dog would be unaffordable. The only difference would be that the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals would never allow the partial-birth abortion of puppies.
When socialist programs designed to help the poor destroy the free markets and create more poverty, we haven't helped the poor. Weakening the U.S. military won't end war; liberalizing the Second Amendment won't stop criminals from crossing the Mexican border with machine guns while on the way to get a California driver's license.
At least one political party should give Americans a meaningful conservative alternative instead of a one-way ticket to failure.
Brent Parmer, Apache
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 11434Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11103Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9903Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8455Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4574Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4269Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4107OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M