Top-seed Haas ousted in 1st round at Delray Beach

Published on NewsOK Modified: February 19, 2014 at 8:47 pm •  Published: February 19, 2014
Advertisement
;

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Former collegiate standout Steve Johnson upset No. 1 seed Tommy Haas 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (2) in the first round of the Delray Beach Open on Wednesday night.

It marked the earliest exit of a top seed in this tournament since Haas lost in the first round to Teymuraz Gabashvili in 2010. The No. 1 seed has claimed the Delray Beach title only once in the tournament's 22-year history.

Johnson, ranked No. 142 in the world, needed to win two qualifying matches to gain entry into the main draw of the 32-player field.

"I've had a few wins I'll never forget, and this is one of them," said Johnson, a two-time NCAA champion at USC.

Johnson, who turned pro in 2012, will next face No. 6 seed Feliciano Lopez of Spain. Johnson had 13 aces in his win against the 35-year-old Haas, who is ranked No. 12 in the world.

"I hate to lose, but I'm happy for him," Haas said.

Lopez needed three sets to move to the next round earlier Wednesday. He rallied to defeat Adrian Mannarino 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.

Kevin Anderson and Marin Cilic also advanced on Wednesday.

Anderson, the No. 4 seed, reached the quarterfinals when Ivo Karlovic retired because of a stomach ailment after Anderson won the first game. Karlovic was a finalist in Memphis last week.



Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Dorman blasts "Fal-esi" education program
  2. 2
    These Two Desks Could Help You Live Longer
  3. 3
    Meet the World's Fastest Talking Woman
  4. 4
    OU football: Trevor Knight among elite quarterbacks at Manning Passing Academy
  5. 5
    Hostile people more likely to suffer a stroke
+ show more