ANOC chief supports wrestling inclusion in 2020
SYDNEY (AP) — The head of the Association of National Olympic Committees says wrestling has the unanimous support of his executive council.
Sheik Ahmad Al Fahad Al Sabah says he'll take up the issue with the International Olympic Committee, whose executive board made the surprise recommendation recently to cut wrestling from the 2020 Summer Games.
Al Sabah says "we are very keen to maintain wrestling in the sport program."
He spoke to the Australian Associated Press after meeting with the ANOC executive in Sydney on Tuesday.
Al Sabah says ANOC would work closely with the international wrestling federation before the IOC session in September at Buenos Aires that will have the final say on the 2020 sports program.
He says "I have confidence that the session will vote in favor of maintaining wrestling."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13571Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11780Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5526Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5480Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4292Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4042How to help tornado victims