Another review requested of contract tied to Oklahoma senator-lobbyist affair
Sen. Harry Coates, R-Seminole, on Sunday joined officials with an Ada group chosen to receive a juvenile center contract to call on new Attorney General Scott Pruitt to conduct what would be the third review of the bidding process used to award the contract.
Another review has been requested into the process used to award a multimillion-dollar state contract to clients of a lobbyist romantically linked to a state senator.
But this time, the request has come from the senator himself and the group that won the contract.
Sen. Harry Coates, R-Seminole, on Sunday joined officials with an Ada group chosen to receive the contract to call on new Attorney General Scott Pruitt to conduct what would be the third review of the bidding process used to award the contract.
The $10 million-a-year contract is for a new juvenile detention center. The request for a new review comes as state officials mull whether to rebid the contract, which has been dogged by bid-rigging allegations.
“While the process has been reviewed and cleared twice before by Drew Edmondson's office, a new set of eyes and a third review may stop the unfair attacks on the process,” a news release from the Ada Jobs Foundation said.
Joining Coates in calling for a new review were Ada legislators Rep. Todd Thomsen and Sen. Susan Paddack, who are supporters of the state's decision to award the contract to the Ada group.
The contract has not been signed.
The Ada group said if the bidding process is flawed, it would raise a flag that all state contracts awarded through the process are questionable.
Ada and other communities have been aggressively pursuing the juvenile center contract for the past year.
The Legislature passed a bill last year asking the Office of Juvenile Affairs for a new maximum-security juvenile center. Bidding for the contract began in summer.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates